The next meeting of the Ilkley Civic Society Local History Hub is by zoom on Saturday 29th April at 3pm. Following last month’s successful walk, the meeting will look at the eastern area of The Grove. The original east-west Roman road developed into Green Lane. This was widened with building in 1870 to become The Grove. It is now Ilkley’s well known shopping street.
The creation of The Grove saw the removal of the thatched cottages on the south side of the road. In a dramatic change, they were replaced by several three-storey buildings of ground floor shops with offices and accommodation above. On the north side was a curve of three shops.
In the 1870s it was decided to set up a fountain where Mill Ghyll goes into the culvert under Brook Street. Subscriptions were collected on a weekly basis to fund the work. The fountain was a circular basin with four central horses whose nostrils projected water. There were twenty seven jets around the base. At the top were serpents and mermaids.
The meeting will last between an hour and an hour and half.
Registration is via email@example.com